VOTRON EXTERMINATION ! ! ! ((New PC)) Advice!!

Got something to talk about that has nothing to do with gaming or the guild--this is the place to be!
Cleon
Guild Master

VOTRON EXTERMINATION ! ! ! ((New PC)) Advice!!

Post by Cleon »

Alright, I need your advices.

I am looking at THIS unit: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8000050010

I am considering upgrading the video card to an nVidia 9600 with 512MB DDR3 Ram.

Thoughts?

What other upgrades should I get, and is this a great deal?

They have the same unit at $889 with a 24" HD monitor. Is that a better deal than the LCD one above?

Help!
We are Kindred of Valiance

World of Warcraft

[ Old Blanchy Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Raamiah - Shaman) (Mørck - Warrior) (Arowana - Hunter) (Karîna - Rogue) (Ådam - Priest) (Krìsti - Warlock) (Lèo - Druid) (Valsu - Paladin) (Stibnites - Mage) (Festae - Death Knight)

[ Grobbulus Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Alliance Realm ]
(Valsu - Shaman) (Uaru - Warrior) (Trapiche - Hunter) (Lejes - Rogue) (Cleon - Priest) (Ealdor - Warlock) (Pacu - Druid) (Salvini - Paladin) (Jardini - Mage) (Jurupari - Death Knight)

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Stibnite - Mage) (Valsu - Shaman) (Lèjés - Demon Hunter) (Cleonae - Hunter) (Cleon - Priest) (Machairo - Warrior)
(Festae - Death Knight) (Sapote - Druid) (Castle - Paladin) (Erìk - Monk) (Progressive - Rogue) (Ealdor - Warlock)
Naenre

Re: VOTRON EXTERMINATION ! ! ! ((New PC)) Advice!!

Post by Naenre »

Alright. Here's my advice. Doing some research this doesn't seem like a bad system but you can do better.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... y%20GT5694

Tigerdirect is my choice for parts and systems. And I'm a big fan of refurbished systems but of course you can get a lemon but it's rare. Tigerdirect has good customer service too, dealt with them for over 2 years.

Or this one is a nice system too.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2631

But this one I like most. No need to even buy a decent video card like the above rigs. For a decent price too. Even better than my system.

Plus it has 5gig of RAM. 667 speed too. Pretty good. I have 800mhz speed RAM in mine.

This is another gem. Awesome price too. It has 800mhz speed 4gig RAM.

You want a miminum of that DDR3 video card and on your RAM at least 2gig 500mhz for Vista and gaming.

Hope this advice helps you.
You can always do better buying a refurbished system if you just want one that works!!
Latt

Post by Latt »

Just a quick tip regarding gfx card. A 8800GT is faster than any 9600, and has full dx10 support as well... and often cheaper :)
Slythorn

Post by Slythorn »

Cleon you will love this system and you will gimp if you combine a nvidia card with this, the mentioned hybrid system graphics means adding another ati card to the pci express slot will work like your running crossfire mode which means two graphics running super speed. Its similar to nvidia dual card setup and just buy another ati but the onboard smokes honest. I can give more examples just call me up, this is a new revolutionary setup from ati and it really is the best way to go.....
Percival_DAOC

Slythorn 50 Infiltrator
Stythorn 50 Reaver
Samuels 44 Mercenary
Loads of others I played

WoW_Illidan server

Samuels 70 Hunter Illidan-Horde
Samsfrost 70 Mage Cenarion Circle-Alliance
Lots of others

Warhammaer Online Temp server: Abhorash Destro
Slythorn - DOK Disciple of Khiane
Slyfox - Chosen
Slyfoxer - Squig Herder
Latt

Post by Latt »

Those are some really craptastic graphic sollutions in all of those systems you linked to...
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

What ATI card is equivalent to the Nvidia 8800 GTS then ?

World of Warcraft

CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Raamiah - Shaman) (Mørck - Warrior) (Arowana - Hunter) (Karîna - Rogue) (Ådam - Priest) (Krìsti - Warlock) (Lèo - Druid) (Valsu - Paladin) (Stibnites - Mage) (Festae - Death Knight)

(Valsu - Shaman) (Uaru - Warrior) (Trapiche - Hunter) (Lejes - Rogue) (Cleon - Priest) (Ealdor - Warlock) (Pacu - Druid) (Salvini - Paladin) (Jardini - Mage) (Jurupari - Death Knight)

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Stibnite - Mage) (Valsu - Shaman) (Lèjés - Demon Hunter) (Cleonae - Hunter) (Cleon - Priest) (Machairo - Warrior)
(Festae - Death Knight) (Sapote - Druid) (Castle - Paladin) (Erìk - Monk) (Progressive - Rogue) (Ealdor - Warlock)
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

After researching, VisionTek - ATI RADEON HD4850 512MB GDDR3 is the only comparible ATI card to the Nvidia one Latt listed.

I hate ATI, but based on the hybrid situation you brought to my attention, I might be better off going ATI.

World of Warcraft

CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
Latt

Post by Latt »

I think 3870 should be comparable. If it's compatible with that odd on-board ati systems, I got no idea.

Go crazy all-in, and buy a 4870 x2, and you'll not have to worry about upgrading graphics for a good portion of years ;)

Link to an older benchmark which has both the 3870 and 8800GT cards (there are more tests if you continue the article)
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3209&p=3
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

I got my system!!

Yay!!!!

I went with a 4850 Radeon, and man that thing is huge. Just barely fit into my computer.

I'm getting everything loaded now.

Loving it!

World of Warcraft

CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
Latt

Post by Latt »

4850 should definately do the job for a long time. Enjoy your new system :D
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

I'm having a tough time getting adjusted to a 22" HD panoramic view monitor.

By the way, Warhammer doesn't like some of the max settings available on the card.

Seems the card was more advanced than Mythic. I had to turn the settings down in some areas to prevent glitches in game.

Enhanced aliasing removed my character's faces, lol.

World of Warcraft

CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
Sicyn
Site Admin

Post by Sicyn »

No faces? That's like a Twilight Zone episode!
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

I started to roll with it just beause I thought it would be cool.

Then I realized that the joke would be on me, because only I would see the graphic error, so I went back to normal settings on that feature until Warhammer is DX10.

Maybe someday!

World of Warcraft

CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
Latt

Post by Latt »

Maybe! But likely not so much :P

I had that same face-off experience when I first started play AoC on my old-crappy-laptop with a ATI mobile gfx card... so it could be the ATI drivers...

And yes, it does take a while to get used to a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor, but once you're used to it, you will hate the narrow 4:3 monitors and will not be able to understand how on earth you could ever use it :) I went widescreen in 2001, so I've been hating 4:3 for 7 years now! :P