Macbook

Got something to talk about that has nothing to do with gaming or the guild--this is the place to be!
Allegro

Macbook

Post by Allegro »

I partitioned my space and got Windows running on my Mac. Warhammer isn't loading!! It installed fine and patched quickly, but now it doesn't really load my character. Any thoughts? I'm just thinking of investing some money and building my own PC for gaming.
Sicyn
Site Admin

Re: Macbook

Post by Sicyn »

I would update the drivers from the vendor...and not use the one's from Apple.
Donkipunx

Post by Donkipunx »

buy a pc :)
Iknod - Zealot
Blumpa - Squigherder
Xarci - Sorceress
Latt

Post by Latt »

Do you mean macbook or macbook pro? If you mean macbook, then you likely wont be able to run the game a all, since your computer doesn't have a dedicated graphics card. Either an Intel GMA950 or GMA3100 if your macbook is of a newer date. Unfortunately, both are completely worthless as 3d gaming computers.

Are you running windows through bootcamp, parallelles or vmware ?

Also be sure that when you make the "mac disc" for bootcamp, that you make a new one. I'm not sure if you can use regular vendor drivers on a mac ... but then again ... I bought my mac two and a half years ago, with the thought that I could install windows on it if I should ever need it... and I never did, thankfully. I got a pc for gaming, but that's litteraly all I every use it for. The macbook is otherwise the computer of choice, always.
Sicyn
Site Admin

Post by Sicyn »

I've installed the drivers from nVidia on both my macs (MacBook Pro and Mac Pro) and haven't had any problems, but your mileage may vary.

My MacBook Pro played WoW beautifully...but WAR on the Mac Pro is just "okay". I'm actually in the process of just building a new machine with a nVidia GeForce GTX 280...should be sweet.
Latt

Post by Latt »

Or you could just buy a 4870 ATI for you mac pro, save a bunch, and get a sweet upgrade for an already super-sweet machine. Mac Pro is my next desktop for sure ... unless a miracle should happen and apple would actually stuff in a decent usefull graphics card in their iMac lineup
Sicyn
Site Admin

Post by Sicyn »

I would have loved to have done that. However, until Apple release that video card you're kind of screwed. Mac's require a special ROM for video cards so that high resolution is available during the early part of booting so that they can get the pretty Mac screen. Without it, Mac OS X won't boot up (Windows in Bootcamp would be fine).

This is a huge complaint in the Mac desktop world because "new" cards are usually added every year or so, and even then they're behind the times by a year or two. The top end card for the Mac Pro right now is the nVidia 8800 GT 512MB (technically there's another, but it's the nVidia Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB and costs $2800).
Latt

Post by Latt »

Oh yes, I now all this. But I'm fairly certain I read just that the 4870 and 4850 had been released for Mac Pro like a month ago or so ... Then again, I just skimmed the article as the sheer thought of owning a Mac Pro is so unrealistic, that thinking too much about upgrades, just seems way off for the time being :P