Chosen Q&A

It is time to twist and shout with class. Show us your moves in full detail right here!
Rythok

Chosen Q&A

Post by Rythok »

Greetings, everyone interested in the Chosen class. I have decided to open a Question and Answers topic to hopefully help people better understand the Chosen class and help them decide which spec is best for them. I will start with a few questions that I think is the basic stuff people will want to know. When people ask questions in this topic I will add that question in the first post of the thread along with my answer. If you see false information here please contact me and I will fix it as soon as I can.

Here we go:

Q: What can a chosen do in a group that other tanks cannot do?
A:The Chosen's main difference to the other tanks is his use of auras. They are skills that usually benefit the Chosen's allies that stand near him, while hindering the foes that are close as well. Auras stay active until the chosen cancels it or uses another one. So the Chosen offers a little more support to the group than the other tanks.

Q: I heard Chosen can have more than one aura active, how does that work?
A:It is possible for a Chosen to twist auras so that more than one of them will be active at the same time. When a chosen cancels an aura or activates another one, the previous aura will still be effective for 12 seconds, and a cooldown of 5 seconds will start on all your auras. So it is possible for a Chosen to have 3 auras active at the same time, should he activate another one every 5 seconds.

Q: What are the different specs a Chosen can choose?
A:The three different specs are the Path of Dread, the Path of Corruption, and the Path of Discord. Dread focuses on using two-handed weapons to deal bigger amounts of damage to a single target. Corruption is the pure tank spec, focusing on defensive skills for the Chosen and his group. Discord is the magical attack/Anti-caster spec, with a magical attack that ignores armor and different buffs/debuffs that affect mostly casters.

Q: I chose the <insert spec line here> spec, what stats should I look for on my gear?
A:If you are specced dread, your priority should be weaponskill, this will increase your armor penetration which will allow you to do more damage with Cleave (especially on heavily armored foes). Strength normally reduces the chances of enemies parrying or blocking your attacks, but this is not an issue with Cleave so for dread spec, all it gives you is a little more damage. Weaponskill also increases your chances to parry, which work well with the tactic that gives you APs back when you parry. With that said, strength should not be neglected either, because all that armor penetration won't help much if your base damage is not high.

If you are corruption spec, your priority is toughness, because staying alive is your game. Wounds is also a good thing to have, and then comes weaponskill and strength respectively. Also, do not neglect resists as this will help you stay alive against casters.

If you are discord, you need strength to deal damage. Weaponskill is far from being as useful as in other specs, because your main attack skill is not physical damage, and so already ignores armor. Strength will increase all your melee skills' damage and make it less likely that they will get blocked or parried. As of right now, all Chosen AoE skills are based on the intelligence stat, so Blast Wave and Quake's damage is not increased by strength, still I do not suggest stacking intelligence as the damage is not really an important part of these skills.

With all that said, keep in mind you are a tank class, so all the stats that boost survivability are good. Toughness and Wounds are never wasted stat points, and do not forget resists unless you want to be easy prey to the Bright Wizards.

(I will be adding more obvious stuff in the near future, too sleepy right now)
DAoC - Percival: Rythok Ballantine, lvl 50 armsman; Terendir, lvl 40something mercenary.
WoW - Lightninghoof: Rythok, level 70 warrior. Rivendare: Burninatör, level 70 priest.
WAR - Pheonix Throne: Rythok, Chaos Chosen.
Vaklen

Re: Chosen Q&A

Post by Vaklen »

Path of Discord:

/agree there on not increasing INT. BlastWave and Quake are not really for their damage, but for their secondary effects. Also, sorcerers will love you for using Blast Wave while in the thick of the enemy.
Vaklen

Formerly known as:
Oni No Suterusu - DAoC Andred Server
Shadowblade in the service of Malice
Brok

Re: Chosen Q&A

Post by Brok »

Chosen are tough enough to be in the midst of the enemy, they do ok dps but most importantly they expose the enemy to higher ranged attack damage and can do alot to really disrupt healers and enemy casters.
Brov - 40 Chosen
Terrok - 40 Marauder
Tarnak - 40 Sorc most active char for me atm
Brok - 24 Zealot
Bror - 20 Magus