Podcast: Questing (10/11/2007)

Discuss previous adventures in former MMO releases.
Sicyn
Site Admin

Podcast: Questing (10/11/2007)

Post by Sicyn »

Maverickk

Re: Podcast: Questing (10/11/2007)

Post by Maverickk »

This is my favorite podcast! LOL it's so hilarious. More specifically at the time of 2:39 is when it starts. I'm so bored I'm actually going to type it out for you. But you have to watch it too. Too funny!

Paul: Kill Collectors. Actually, that's a sort of an internal name. That's not what they really are. What they really are is Don't be stupid quests. Alright? You ever play a game where your try to get to a bloke and he's got some flashing thing over his head say "I've got a quest! I've got a quest!" and and he's surrounded by bears, you know, bears. Bears as far as the eye can see. Bears, bears bears, bears, bears. To get to this guy you have to truckle through and kill a bear, kill a bear, kill another bear, kill another bear. When you finally get to this him, what he says to you is,

NPC - "I really don't like bears, I'd like you to go kill some bears."

And your covered in bear blood!! You've got bits of bear all over ya! You've got a bear stuck on the end of your sword! And you have to go,

Player - "What do you want me to kill?"
NPC - "Bears."
Player - "What do you think I was just doing?"
NPC - "I've got no idea mate, but you've only just clicked on me and bears is what it was."

And so you've got to pull your sword out and clean all the bear blood off ya and bear fur. You then go out, right, and you go kill a bear, kill a bear, kill a bear. You go BACK to him, and he goes.

NPC - "No, no, no. I said kill bears."
Player - "And what do you think I was just doing?"
NPC - "Well you can't have killed a bear. Cause if you'd done that, you would have got a bear paw."
Player - "What are you talking about!?!"
NPC - "Well only bear paws count for killing bears."

And you sort of go, "I am going to kill you, at this rate!"

That's what we call the "Usual dynamic". Well we did away with that. Cause it was rubbish! In ours it's very simple. There'll be a bloke right? And let's pick something more invocative, let's say it's a corsair. Right? Okay? Yes we are working on elves. Yes yes. Pay attention. Elves stuff. Okay? So, you've got a corsair. That's one of the elves....nevermind. Corsair right? And he's standing there. And you know, and sort of being all evil and spikey and enjoying himself. And you wandering around and you go "I think I'm just going to go talk to the corsair."

When you do, you get jumped by shadow warriors. Bloody shadow warriors. So you put into your sword, mopping their la-di-da heads off. Having a pretty good time. When you get to him, low and behold. The Corsair goes,

Corsair - "I can't stand shadow warriors."
Player - "..........."
Corsair - "And I see you have killed 5 of them! Here's a reward!"

There's no bear paw, there's no shadow warrior paw. There's no triggering it to say, now you should go kill shadow warriors. What the corsair wants you to do is slaughter shadow warriors. And as long as you've been doing that, he gives you the rewards. And the reason that's done is because the games really clever. And KNOWS if you've killed shadow warriors. So it doesn't need to be told, Activate the games kill shadow warrior thing.

It's pretty clever our servers.

Yeah ok so there's more but my hands hurt and I have no idea why I just did this. I'm just bored I guess. But its hilarious. Watch it!!
Maverickk a.k.a. Mang
Former "Kindred of Valiance" Officer
(Currently playing)
Phantasy - 8L7 Lurikeen Nightshade
Shamanga - 9L6 Norseman Shadowblade
Virmang - 5L9 Inconnu Infiltrator
Sicyn
Site Admin

Post by Sicyn »

Yeah, this was my favorite too...and this is a bloody brilliant idea they have. This is my favorite feature to date. :)

I'm in "covered in bear blood hell" in WoW right now...it bores me.
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

This questing aspect alone makes me want to ditch every other mmo.

I really love this questing design, and hope they don't change their mind.
We are Kindred of Valiance

World of Warcraft

[ Old Blanchy Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Raamiah - Shaman) (Mørck - Warrior) (Arowana - Hunter) (Karîna - Rogue) (Ådam - Priest) (Krìsti - Warlock) (Lèo - Druid) (Valsu - Paladin) (Stibnites - Mage) (Festae - Death Knight)

[ Grobbulus Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Alliance Realm ]
(Valsu - Shaman) (Uaru - Warrior) (Trapiche - Hunter) (Lejes - Rogue) (Cleon - Priest) (Ealdor - Warlock) (Pacu - Druid) (Salvini - Paladin) (Jardini - Mage) (Jurupari - Death Knight)

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Stibnite - Mage) (Valsu - Shaman) (Lèjés - Demon Hunter) (Cleonae - Hunter) (Cleon - Priest) (Machairo - Warrior)
(Festae - Death Knight) (Sapote - Druid) (Castle - Paladin) (Erìk - Monk) (Progressive - Rogue) (Ealdor - Warlock)