Podcast: RvR (04/02/2007)

Discuss previous adventures in former MMO releases.
Sicyn
Site Admin

Podcast: RvR (04/02/2007)

Post by Sicyn »

Hildace

Re: Podcast: RvR (04/02/2007)

Post by Hildace »

why does instanced combat have to be what gives the most points? I think that's retarded. I hope that people arent just stuck in instanced combat all day. I want the skirmish and battlefield combat that i liked in daoc. I want that to count more than instanced combat in terms of points, and i want that to be what people focus on. I dont need any more wow battleground-like instanced combat =/ Although it could be slightly ok if the objectives arent as retarded as wow objectives (capture hte flag, get 5 meaningless nodes and hold htem, capture hte flag again)
Ach

Post by Ach »

Agreed. All i see from this is an empty world.

People will go to whatever gets them the most points the fastest. And if this stays as described it'll just be another WOW type atmosphere where world pvp is non-existant. Get rid of instanced PvP, get rid of the points associated with it, or dramatically reduce the points earned through it. Make people engage in combat out in the open. I can't help but look at this podcast and come to the conclusion that you could have a great setup simply by using skirmishes and battlefields alone.

What's the point of instanced combat other than to remove players from the game world, enclose them in an isolated environment, and allow people to roam in relative safety in what is supposed to be a danger zone.

Now granted, this is an old podcast from April and we have no idea what changes are taking place right now. I'm willing to bet that if any DAOC people were in the initial phase of beta then there must have been some complaints about this. So I'll keep my hopes up that wer'e not looking at WOW part Deux via warhammer and that the changes in RvR will address this issue.
Temujin / Yesukhei
Hildace

Post by Hildace »

This link has some good news for us. They might not be focusing on instanced pvp that much after all :)

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums ... hp?t=21065
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

That depends on how laggy the "two" cities are now.

They should have a better idea now that guild beta has started.
We are Kindred of Valiance

World of Warcraft

[ Old Blanchy Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Raamiah - Shaman) (Mørck - Warrior) (Arowana - Hunter) (Karîna - Rogue) (Ådam - Priest) (Krìsti - Warlock) (Lèo - Druid) (Valsu - Paladin) (Stibnites - Mage) (Festae - Death Knight)

[ Grobbulus Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Alliance Realm ]
(Valsu - Shaman) (Uaru - Warrior) (Trapiche - Hunter) (Lejes - Rogue) (Cleon - Priest) (Ealdor - Warlock) (Pacu - Druid) (Salvini - Paladin) (Jardini - Mage) (Jurupari - Death Knight)

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Stibnite - Mage) (Valsu - Shaman) (Lèjés - Demon Hunter) (Cleonae - Hunter) (Cleon - Priest) (Machairo - Warrior)
(Festae - Death Knight) (Sapote - Druid) (Castle - Paladin) (Erìk - Monk) (Progressive - Rogue) (Ealdor - Warlock)
Kestrel_Trebor

Post by Kestrel_Trebor »

It's interesting. As I mentioned in a different thread, having just 2 capital cities might make it harder to take a city. MBJ has said he thought it would make it easier. I'm concerned it will be too populous -- and that would make them need to instance it at the city gates battle for sure.

In contrast, I was not that concerned about having fights "too spread out" with 6 capital cities in, because population at release is going to be very high.

We'll see though ;)
MMO's Played Include The Realm, Meridian 59, UO, AO, AC2, DAOC, WOW
DAOC 2001-2006, Toons Included:
Kestrel (sorceror, alb perc) --> Hasil (infiltrator, alb perc) --> Bardif (healer, mid guin) --> Chianan (bard, hib merlin)
Sacred Brotherhood, Ascendency, Solarius

WAR --> Hasil the Witch Elf
WAR --> Keztrel the Zealot (someone stole Kestrel!!!)