One More Round of Alts?

Discuss previous adventures in former MMO releases.
Kestrel_Trebor

One More Round of Alts?

Post by Kestrel_Trebor »

I have NEVER been an alt-a-holic. And I really have no desire to gear up multiple toons, because PvE is not really my bag of chips. But I PvE because I want to do better in RvR, so . . .

I also never was an alt-a-holic in DAOC because gaining higher RR was very important. As was getting your character TOA'd out with artifacts and ML abilities. There might be a time when, in WAR, RR really matters, or some alternate master-level like abilities are added that make it much more worthwhile to continue working on 1 character at the expense of others. But as it stands now, since RR doesn't matter that much, it makes more sense to have group versatility than to tweak out 1 toon to RR 80. Yes, RR 80 with its 20% damage increase DOES make a difference. But that's a looooooong way off anyway, so -- meh. . . ;)

We also had a ball re-rolling when BG was released. And I'm thinking when the next two classes are released we might want to level up another round of alts. For a bunch of reasons:

1) Going through the tiers again is a blast when the population surges as new classes are released.

2) Having more 40's will give us more versatility in RvR

3) As noted above, tweaking out a toon to high RR doesn't make that much of a diff. -- versatility is more important than RR (being able to bring the right classes to a group).

4) The new classes will be OP so we'll want to run some of them :)

So -- with all that having been said, I think I'm going to level a third 40 when the slayer/choppa is released. It'd be nice to get a few set groups to run up together as well, and to try to round ourselves out with more class options. I may roll Choppa, but could also roll a tank or another healer or RDPS -- don't really care which ;)

What do other people think?
MMO's Played Include The Realm, Meridian 59, UO, AO, AC2, DAOC, WOW
DAOC 2001-2006, Toons Included:
Kestrel (sorceror, alb perc) --> Hasil (infiltrator, alb perc) --> Bardif (healer, mid guin) --> Chianan (bard, hib merlin)
Sacred Brotherhood, Ascendency, Solarius

WAR --> Hasil the Witch Elf
WAR --> Keztrel the Zealot (someone stole Kestrel!!!)
Broakin

Re: One More Round of Alts?

Post by Broakin »

Treehugga Dayzeblowa at your service! (11 Shammy)
Revend
Broakin
Lothae

LoL: Bunnycuddler
Sinsan

Post by Sinsan »

Sinnerr Witch Elf.... already in progress.
Never give up its not an option.
Sinsun - Soceress (Main)
Sinsaw - Black Guard
Sinsan - Black Orc
Brok

Post by Brok »

I'll probably join you as you level up with my already pre-existing characters. Though I may start a new char from scratch. When are they due out?

And yes rr is not a big deal atm unless you go all the way to rr80. And it really doesn't seem to be all that hard. If all I did was play Brov I'd probably be around rr65-70 by now (he's rr41 and terrok is rr31 and my other chars are all rr20+). I actually think any of us who can play a bit will have 1-2 rr80s in about a year (or be rr50+ with 3 chars). Unless Mythic makes alot of changes, but as is with everyone being higher rr on average it should only get easier to get high rr.
Brov - 40 Chosen
Terrok - 40 Marauder
Tarnak - 40 Sorc most active char for me atm
Brok - 24 Zealot
Bror - 20 Magus
Kestrel_Trebor

Post by Kestrel_Trebor »

And just to clarify -- I won't be doing any alts leveling with any intensity until the new classes are released, gonna stay with my main until then ;)
Kestrel (sorceror, alb perc) --> Hasil (infiltrator, alb perc) --> Bardif (healer, mid guin) --> Chianan (bard, hib merlin)

Assimilate

Post by Assimilate »

I appreciate Keztrel's clarification above, but I still have some concerns about everyone leveling a new round of alts. We are just now starting to work together as a guild, by doing RvR, instances and PQs. We are building tactics and strategies and learning about each other's play styles (or in my case, lack of style in play). We are learning how to work as a team. As more and more of us reach 40, more and more of us can be included in guild events, because the level disparity between us ends at 40.

My concern is that this will end. When we start leveling alts, we will inevitably create more level disparities because not all of us level at the same pace. Further, those players that are not quite 40 right now, who have heard us in Vent talking about Blood and Bile and LV, will reach 40 only to find that everyone else in the guild is working on T2 scenarios.

I don't presume to tell other people how to play, or what to do in game. That is none of my business, and not my reponsibility. I understand how frustrating and boring it is to stand around at 40 wondering what to do. I understand that T4 RvR is much more irritating than earlier tiers. But I think that this guild has a chance to make a difference on this server. We have great players and great tactics. Once we get focused, we can dominate. My only worry is that we will not get focused, and that leveling alts will only further distract us.

But what the hell.... I might like to try out a Choppa too. And I am still trying to figure out how DoKs work....
Kestrel_Trebor

Post by Kestrel_Trebor »

Justifiable concerns, Assimilate. I think we have quite a few months until we'll see new classes, though, so we should have plenty of time to run more dungeons and RvR more ;) Since the classes are not even officially on the test server, I'd imagine they *might* be there within a month, then like a month of testing -- so 2-3 months before they're released, I'd guess.

But you're right it will mean a month of leveling I'm sure. Which can be fun but don't wanna "strand" those who choose to stay in T4. BUT the biggest reason to level the new classes will be that they may help us in the long run, and could be overpowered as heck (if we're lucky), so we may well want to be running the new class in RvR anyway.

Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Cant keep up with you guys now as it is and with my schedule like it is, I'll prolly miss alot of your engagements. Good Luck, and dont level too many Choppas, That was my career before I knew they weren't gonna be in at launch!
Miq, Hexine, Adaar, Zierra, Jhaboo

Currently Playing = DAoC Freeshard Phoenix Midgar
Drendel - Warrior / Dreya - Skald / Drezzel - Shaman / Dreevig - Spirit Master

Discord = Daemini #2935 / Steam = Daemini
Erumi

Post by Erumi »

Maaaayyyybe I'll roll a Choppa. I do miss T2 and especially T3 oRvR.
DAoC Perc--
Leocyn MacTavish (RIP) You always remember your first.
Hava the Cabalist (MIA) I think I'll miss you most of all.
WoW Lightninghoof--
Erumi de Shaman / Taurion the Engineer
WAR Phoenix Throne--
Erumi da Shaman / Hava the Magus
Joppy

Post by Joppy »

I have done the alt thing in WoW and I don't want to repeat that in War. For the Squig Herder class renown ranks are a big deal, at least until RR 60. At RR 60 I get two more points and two new abilities from the mastery trees that will make me much more effective in RvR. That being said, if guildies like leveling alts then go for it. I may level one alt so I can have a scavenger/potion maker, but I will wait to do that until I am RR 60 on my Squiggy.
Famine

Post by Famine »

Like I said, high chance of a slayer re roll for me. If I do stay, I won't make another character. Those of you telling me to make a choppa. It's not a slayer, and doesn't have the feel of a slayer. It's big, ugly, smells bad. Slayers are small, ferocious, and able to beat almost anything. pssst WTB Dragon Slayer. The big decision maker for me is, do I want to go start over with a new giuld and new people, or stick with those I know and can trust to keep me alive, normally when he doesn't suck while I rift...ehem.

Knowing me, I won't go anywhere. I will play my marauder and magus until RR80 though, have no interest in a 3rd alt until those 2 are done.
We are the 4 Horsemen of the apocalypse.
ίππος χλωρός, θάνατος- Death
ίππος λευκός -Pestilence
ίππος μέλας-Famine
ίππος πυρρός-War

Hasil- Tip 1. Don't type and drive. Tip 2. Don't follow a leader who is typing
Sinsan

Post by Sinsan »

I hear your concerns Eric..... The downfall i am starting to see if you need a massive hp machine to play this game as it is intended. I am considering building a new machine but the game in its current state I get 1 fps in big ORVR. So leveling alts for me and dungeon runs is about the best i can do for myself to make it enjoyable. I had fun last night but it really started to get frustrating even with all graphics off to try and be functional at all. I could barely follow.
Never give up its not an option.
Sinsun - Soceress (Main)
Sinsaw - Black Guard
Sinsan - Black Orc
Brok

Post by Brok »

It really isn't a big deal. Famine, you play enough to make a slayer and play here. Keztrel could have alts gallor, he plays alot as well. I have considered rolling a WP just to see how it is. But I'd only play it during guild off-hours.

The key is to basically be on "big" toons at prime time I think or show up at planned events (if you want to do the PvE dungeons). Most play 7-12pm EST and PT is most RvR active 9-1pm EST. So that works out for many in the guild.

And even though I am not on vent alot (just like listening to music and chatting in /gu unless RvRing), if people are doing other stuff but on vent we can all do guild stuff as needed.

And Joppy, go for it. RRs do help with the mastery points and some classes more than others. I know for a zealot it is not so important since teh Zealot masteries aren't all that helpful for healing. It helps my Chosen some but isn't as important as on my Marauder.

I am just saying we can all do "our thing" and still do guild stuff. We are all very self-reliant but also can switch gears and do group stuff for a guildie or fun just about anytime.
Brov - 40 Chosen
Terrok - 40 Marauder
Tarnak - 40 Sorc most active char for me atm
Brok - 24 Zealot
Bror - 20 Magus
Kestrel_Trebor

Post by Kestrel_Trebor »

I don't particularly like alts either, it's just it gives us more flexibility and the time to do it will be on the release of new classes, whenever that happens.

Bottom line for me is that we're starting to develop ties, you guys are growing on me, and we're doing well together, so I want to make sure we keep our "togetherness" intact, whatever we do. Group hug!

Assimilate

Post by Assimilate »

Famine wrote:Like I said, high chance of a slayer re roll for me. If I do stay, I won't make another character. Those of you telling me to make a choppa. It's not a slayer, and doesn't have the feel of a slayer. It's big, ugly, smells bad. Slayers are small, ferocious, and able to beat almost anything. pssst WTB Dragon Slayer. The big decision maker for me is, do I want to go start over with a new giuld and new people, or stick with those I know and can trust to keep me alive, normally when he doesn't suck while I rift...ehem.

Knowing me, I won't go anywhere. I will play my marauder and magus until RR80 though, have no interest in a 3rd alt until those 2 are done.

http://www.extremesportclips.com/video/ ... ssing.html
Famine

Post by Famine »

Awesome.
We are the 4 Horsemen of the apocalypse.
ίππος χλωρός, θάνατος- Death
ίππος λευκός -Pestilence
ίππος μέλας-Famine
ίππος πυρρός-War

Hasil- Tip 1. Don't type and drive. Tip 2. Don't follow a leader who is typing
Denauticus

Post by Denauticus »

Kindred Brothers,

Since the inception of any MMO everyone will have secondary characters, not that this concept is new to any of you but I just wanted to take note of the underlying concern. Seems many of you feel that a re-roll or alts will detract from the "core group" that make up our dungeon and PVP groups. In the past 2 months while some of you rerolled there was very little activity in the tier 4 PVP/PVE areas. There was a few nights where I got on and played another game or alt since everyone focus was leveling up again. That being said, I wanted to make some simple suggestions and add to what others have said.

First, having alts does bring forth new options in PVP/PVE. This also gives Kindred some exposure in lower ranks where we have little exposure these days. This also helps educate our guild "knowleadge base" aka Keztrel with the abilities and tactics of our realm classes.

Second and most importantly new classes are fun and revive interest in the game for many. Everyone loves the lower tiers and the fast leveling. The game mechanics are much more simple which I think for many is a draw. Even if we all have alts and play together we are still contributing to the guild and having fun.

Lastly, in the event you, your class might be needed make the effort to be available. Twice the other night I was on with my alt (Telsania) and logged on Den for a guild event. Its important we maintain our tier 4 events and participation. I do feel a lot of people have spent the time to rank up for the 3-4 day opportunity to go on a Blood or Bile raid. I can probably state that Sinsaw and Keztrel rerolled out of pure necessity for more healer/tank classes in which we have filled the gap nicely. Now that we have a solid group of 40's lets insure we continue to pursue the higher level interest in the game as well as the new content on the horizon.

Just my thoughts.
Denauticus Hallgrim of Dark Kindred
Current:
Xbox ID: BigRhin0

Retired:
{Diablo III - Battlenet ID: Denauticus#1872}
{40th season Chosen, Destruction - WAR}
{70th season Warrior, Horde - World of Warcraft}
{50th season Wizard, Albion/Percival - DAoC}
{EVE Online - Royal Khanid Industry}
Kestrel_Trebor

Post by Kestrel_Trebor »

With my recent bad luck in PvE, not sure if I'll be able to stomach a re-roll in March anyway. If PvE goes better and I can finish Keztrel, and spend some significant time in RvR, then perhaps. But otherwise not sure if I can take PvEing so much on Kez then hopping right into an alt. I REALLY want to start running regularly in RvR, I am just psychotic and can't really stomach it until I have at least my intermediate set of gear complete. Not talking about the DP items I want, just my 2/2/2 intermediate set. . .