Long time; No see.

Discuss previous adventures in former MMO releases.
Cleon
Guild Master

Long time; No see.

Post by Cleon »

Yes, I'm alive.

(crickets)

Anyhow, how in the world is everyone??

I apologize for falling off of the earth, but I did not have a choice in the matter. I won't bother boring you with those details.

I am sure I have a lot to catch up on with everyone, and even upon reading a few lines of the board, I'm hearing something about Aion--which I've never heard of after being out of the loop for a year.

It appears that Warhammer all but flopped--which is sad.

What is everyone doing now? Please catch me up. There's a chance I can return to action, but with a bit of a different mindset.

I have missed you all substantially. The journey I made was a very gutsy move, but it was necessary to bring me where I am today.

I can assure you the long preparation has not been in vain, and I hope I did not leave my closest of friends feeling hurt in the mix--as there are many Kindred I have known for numerous years both in and out of the game(s).

Tell me where you are all gathered currently, and I just might get to come tag along. Looking forward to getting reacquainted with each of you once more. It sure has been a long time. I will conclude by stating, "Greetings, Kindred."
We are Kindred of Valiance

World of Warcraft

[ Old Blanchy Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Raamiah - Shaman) (Mørck - Warrior) (Arowana - Hunter) (Karîna - Rogue) (Ådam - Priest) (Krìsti - Warlock) (Lèo - Druid) (Valsu - Paladin) (Stibnites - Mage) (Festae - Death Knight)

[ Grobbulus Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Alliance Realm ]
(Valsu - Shaman) (Uaru - Warrior) (Trapiche - Hunter) (Lejes - Rogue) (Cleon - Priest) (Ealdor - Warlock) (Pacu - Druid) (Salvini - Paladin) (Jardini - Mage) (Jurupari - Death Knight)

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Stibnite - Mage) (Valsu - Shaman) (Lèjés - Demon Hunter) (Cleonae - Hunter) (Cleon - Priest) (Machairo - Warrior)
(Festae - Death Knight) (Sapote - Druid) (Castle - Paladin) (Erìk - Monk) (Progressive - Rogue) (Ealdor - Warlock)
Kugan

Re: Long time; No see.

Post by Kugan »

Good to see that you are still breathin and doing well. Were a bit scattered on AION- see previous thread.

Hope all is well and If you choose to come play on AION I'm sure one of he various servers and Kindred would make life easier.
Hello Rift: Defiant: Sunrest/Harrow Misare - Rogue, Kugan-Cleric, Misary- Mage, Kugen-Warrior

World of Tanks- Misare - Its free and fun so why not.
DAOC
Kugan, Weild, Socrot, Kugavt, Rigarus- and variuus others
Guilds that I have been proud to have belonged to: KOV, Purgatory(Original), Nemesis, Umbrage, Lucked out, Reign of Fury
Broakin

Post by Broakin »

It's never been as good to see your text in these forums! I've been praying and you and your family has been in my heart. I noticed you've gone online every once in awhile, but I didn't feel it was the right move to be barking up a tree. I hope everything is well and currently members have faded due to Warhammer flop. I am currently waiting to see what turns up and reviews but I wish to see Den's face come around here once in awhile.
Revend
Broakin
Lothae

LoL: Bunnycuddler
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

So, how is Aion vs WoW?

I actually started tinkering with gaming again about a month ago, and decided to try Alliance on Emerald Dream (RP/PVP) in WoW.

I'm curious to hear more about this Aion situation, and if there are any plans to form up some Kindred action somewhere.

Meanwhile, I'll be on Emerald Dream conducting meaningless casual play to pass time.

World of Warcraft

CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Raamiah - Shaman) (Mørck - Warrior) (Arowana - Hunter) (Karîna - Rogue) (Ådam - Priest) (Krìsti - Warlock) (Lèo - Druid) (Valsu - Paladin) (Stibnites - Mage) (Festae - Death Knight)

(Valsu - Shaman) (Uaru - Warrior) (Trapiche - Hunter) (Lejes - Rogue) (Cleon - Priest) (Ealdor - Warlock) (Pacu - Druid) (Salvini - Paladin) (Jardini - Mage) (Jurupari - Death Knight)

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Stibnite - Mage) (Valsu - Shaman) (Lèjés - Demon Hunter) (Cleonae - Hunter) (Cleon - Priest) (Machairo - Warrior)
(Festae - Death Knight) (Sapote - Druid) (Castle - Paladin) (Erìk - Monk) (Progressive - Rogue) (Ealdor - Warlock)
Broakin

Post by Broakin »

Aion is a game that started... Well I'm not quite sure but old non-updated or supported by NCsoft servers have been active in China for a while now and finally re-released and added content version to the US/Europe servers. It's a change of pace but Kestrel would know most between everyone, he's been playing pre-release on chinese servers. I had a beta account but didn't grab me, I think i was still in a MMO break period. I will look at it again after Kestrel and I catch up and he gives me a lil' review. Haven't heard from Den or Sinsun lately, but I'm sure they will come around.

Aion... I used to know a little bit of facts about it but they have seemed to fade my mind. I think its a game based on class/skill that relies on skill moreso than gear, but gear isn't obtainable through mindless grinding. Group oriented that has a flight combat system implemented into it
Revend
Broakin
Lothae

Sicyn
Site Admin

Post by Sicyn »

Cleon! Glad to see you're back, and I hope everything is going better for you.

Yeah, Aion is pretty decent and worth a shot, it's just too bad there isn't a trial. We (the ones who are playing) are kind of split up. Zikel is the server that a lot of people from Phoenix Throne (WAR) went to, but I wanted to play Asmodian (the dark side) with some friends and that side went locked for balance. So I re-rolled on Lumiel, which is the community's unofficial RP server. I think there are others elsewhere.

Aion is a game from Korea (about a year old) where grinding is the preferred method of leveling (more like DAoC used to be), however they've added a lot of questing content (more like WoW) so it feels probably more like WoW than DAoC. However, I get a sense that some people like grinding which is a great way to level with groups for XP (which was harder to do in WoW IMO).

Auction House is pretty much like WoW, and has some great crafting in the game.

I'm interested to find out more about PvP, but you don't start doing that until level 25 (there are 50 levels).

Anyway, glad you're back!

-Sicyn
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Hey Cleon, I'm on WoW currently until I a new mmo comes out. Aion didn't grab me the way it did others. Reminds me too much of a free 2 play japanese game. Oh well.

DAoC hired a ton of old people that WAR dropped, hints at DAoC2?
Miq, Hexine, Adaar, Zierra, Jhaboo

Currently Playing = DAoC Freeshard Phoenix Midgar
Drendel - Warrior / Dreya - Skald / Drezzel - Shaman / Dreevig - Spirit Master

Discord = Daemini #2935 / Steam = Daemini
Broakin

Post by Broakin »

I'm sitting around the same situation Adaar. and Very interesting about that find!
Revend
Broakin
Lothae

Kestrel_Trebor

Post by Kestrel_Trebor »

Hey, Cleon -- hope everything is better for you now :)

I'm in Aion on Zikel. They may have unlocked Asmodians on Zikel now, I'm not sure.

Aion is balanced, bug-free, and a cross between WOW and DAOC. The PvP is fast, but not too fast -- time to kill is not too fast so far. Flying adds a great dimension to the gameplay. There are two sides, with a third, computer-controlled faction balancing things out by attacking more strongly any side that gets too powerful.

The skills and classes are diverse and balanced. Since the sides mirror each other, there's no issues with a class having access to things that the other side doesn't have. Thus, there's less class diversity when compared with DAOC, but more balance.

PvE is engaging, fun, user-friendly. Through the first 20 levels the progression is somewhat linear, but it then branches out. You can fly at level 10, and you can access the PvP area (The Abyss) at level 25. Before then you might see enemies on occassion (after level 10), which can access your PvE area through a "rift" in the world.

Crafting is diverse, immersive, and actually fun. You gain experience from gathering and crafting -- you can actually get levels that way, though it eventually gets too slow.

Back to PvP -- you can get gear through PvP. There's a ranking system, where the more points you earn gets to to higher rank. The higher ranks have a limited number of people who can hold them. Since you spend your abyss points on gear, the ranks are always dynamic, though -- you drop in rank when you spend points. The top levels allow you to transform for 10 minutes into a god-like form of yourself, truly powerful. But of course everyone then guns for you ;)

Why this game over WAR or other games? "BFB" -- Balanced, fun, bug-free. There's really a dynamic feeling to the synergy betwee classes. They are useful and diverse, the pacing is good of combat, not too much CC (but enough to add strategy), and skill wins out over gear, though level does make a pretty big difference.

So -- I could say more, but in short -- welcome back. Try Aion! ;)

EDIT: I forgot -- leveling. Pretty good pace at first, but starts to slow after 30. 40-50 takes time.
MMO's Played Include The Realm, Meridian 59, UO, AO, AC2, DAOC, WOW
DAOC 2001-2006, Toons Included:
Kestrel (sorceror, alb perc) --> Hasil (infiltrator, alb perc) --> Bardif (healer, mid guin) --> Chianan (bard, hib merlin)
Sacred Brotherhood, Ascendency, Solarius

WAR --> Hasil the Witch Elf
WAR --> Keztrel the Zealot (someone stole Kestrel!!!)
Sicyn
Site Admin

Post by Sicyn »

Good write up Kestrel. I really like Aion and I'm a little surprised by that. I had huge hopes for WAR (because I always loved DAoC), but it lacked some of the things I thought DAoC did so well, so I was skeptical and thought Aion would be just another, boring MMO. *cough* WoW :P

While, I haven't gotten into PvP yet (only lvl 18) I think the other aspects of the game are really nice so far. The other night I got almost half of a level just by crafting...what a great concept!
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

Very nice read, and thank you for the information.

I will probably stick it out in WoW for now, myself, for the time being. Who knows, though. I may give Aion a try.

Recently, I hooked up with an amazing guild on Emerald Dream named Crimson Alliance, and they remind me so much of our Kindred back in DAoC (which they also played on Guin)--and are only a few years younger than our guild in history of games played.

They are a full RP guild, and I've never had more fun in WoW before than when I ran with them. I feel more at peace on the Alliance side too, for some reason. I guess I'm just reminded of Albion in DAoC, and enjoying the roleplay aspect once again--purposely.

If anyone cares to chat, look me up on Salvini, Brichardi, or Buttikoferi. I'm not on much, but I do get to play most evenings.

I'll let you know if I decide to give Aion a try. If I do, I prefer someone be prepared to level with me, as I do not care much for soloing anymore.

Anyhow, glad to see the familiar faces again.

World of Warcraft

CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
Leonthor

Post by Leonthor »

Welcome back Cleon, as you can see by everyone's reactions you were missed, old friend.

I have to say I didn't try Aion and it didn't WoW me (LOL) with what I read about it before release so I decided to wait and see if we had a consensus after launch.

After reading Kestrel's review and watching the 5 min long promo video I am intrigued by the play style although I am a little unsure if I can handle the "Final Fantasy-esque" art style of the game. Unlike many others I actually missed the group grinding to level just cause I get bored running around solo all the time only doing the occasional instance. I just wish someone would come up with a game that could balance the group grinding with solo questing so you could do whichever you prefer.

Finances are really tight for me right now, I work in the auto sales industry (on the accounting side) and while "Cash for Clunkers" made for a really nice month of Aug, now things are back to slow and painful until the economy recovers more. Once I get things back on an even keel I would like to pick up Aion and give it a run personally.

Oh, in case anyone missed me, I have been around the whole time but as usual for me I don't post very often but have tried to hop in and read whats going on when I see new posts.
Leonthor, Tamaromni, Neighlon and others in DAoC.
WoW (retired):Wambuku Pa-Monk, Phoebria NE-Priest, Leonthor Wo-Druid, Xarlyndra Hu-Mage, Tinaldyr Hu-Paladin, Yzcirin Dr-Shaman

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy & taste good with ketchup!!!
Kugan

Post by Kugan »

Anytime either of you two want to try AION, I'll be happy to grind through with you.
Hello Rift: Defiant: Sunrest/Harrow Misare - Rogue, Kugan-Cleric, Misary- Mage, Kugen-Warrior

World of Tanks- Misare - Its free and fun so why not.
DAOC
Kugan, Weild, Socrot, Kugavt, Rigarus- and variuus others
Guilds that I have been proud to have belonged to: KOV, Purgatory(Original), Nemesis, Umbrage, Lucked out, Reign of Fury
Denauticus

Post by Denauticus »

Cleon,

I am glad to hear that your doing alright brother. A long time has passed since we last spoke and everyone that who knows you always sent there best wishes your way when I spoke to them.

As you have probably found out, yes most of the guild has moved onto new games, old games or are waiting for the next game to come out. A few peoples tried various ones but nothing that has rekindled the guild like WarHammer.

Most of the core group still frequent the board from time to time checking in. For me I have been playing EvE to pass some time. I have had some significant staffing changes at work that have given me very little time to play any games.

I am glad to see everyone else is doing well :) As always I hope everyone is doing well.
Denauticus Hallgrim of Dark Kindred
Current:
Xbox ID: BigRhin0

Retired:
{Diablo III - Battlenet ID: Denauticus#1872}
{40th season Chosen, Destruction - WAR}
{70th season Warrior, Horde - World of Warcraft}
{50th season Wizard, Albion/Percival - DAoC}
{EVE Online - Royal Khanid Industry}
Kestrel_Trebor

Post by Kestrel_Trebor »

Cleon wrote:Recently, I hooked up with an amazing guild on Emerald Dream named Crimson Alliance, and they remind me so much of our Kindred back in DAoC (which they also played on Guin)--and are only a few years younger than our guild in history of games played.
I played with them some on PT in WAR -- some Lost Vale runs. Nice people, good players -- had fun with them ;)
MMO's Played Include The Realm, Meridian 59, UO, AO, AC2, DAOC, WOW
DAOC 2001-2006, Toons Included:
Kestrel (sorceror, alb perc) --> Hasil (infiltrator, alb perc) --> Bardif (healer, mid guin) --> Chianan (bard, hib merlin)
Sacred Brotherhood, Ascendency, Solarius

WAR --> Hasil the Witch Elf
WAR --> Keztrel the Zealot (someone stole Kestrel!!!)