My take on Aion

Discuss previous adventures in former MMO releases.
Brok

My take on Aion

Post by Brok »

Hey all, I ended up joining Fuga and some people he ran with in WAR (Mogarr, Ommu, Zen...) and we moved to Zikel when Aion launched (Asmos, guild is named Despair).

I saw before launch when I popped in here that some of you might also be on Zikel (not sure which side).

If you are on Zikel Asmos then hopefully we can hookup. I played alot since launch on a Templar named Barrock. I wasn't sure about Aion but looks like I'll be staying for awhile.

Just a quick overview for those thinking of trying Aion:

PvP:

* The PvP is different and, of course, the same. The flying combat is alot of fun, though PvP combat in general is somewhat odd. It is enjoyable so far but it is very gear dependent.
* there is lag and I can tell when enemies are approaching much like you could in DAoC. I doubt Aion can handle more than 80 v 80, though I haven't been in that large a battle yet. Just some 40 v 40s which had some lag, some rubber banding and some freeze then deaths type stuff.
* there is alot of CC in Aion and no immunity timers. You do have potions that can break one out of most CC on a 30 second timer.
* there is not alot of AOE damage (at least so far, I am lvl 37 atm)
* going through rifts into enemy lands is alot of fun and where smaller GvG combat can be had
* enemies always show up as red ?? so you don't know what level enemy you face
* there are PvP rewards that are very good gear. They do take a long time to get.
* NO SCENS OR BGs (/cry)
* level differences in PvP combat don't matter too much, gear matters more. A well geared lvl 35 could probably beat a poorly geared 40 (can't say for sure since not enough dueling experience yet, plus what classes face off matters alot)
=> conclusion, so far I think it is good but not great

PvE:

* going from lvl 1-20 is reasonable and somewhat fun. There is no sprinting but you can glide in many places once you get the hang of it.
* leveling past 20 is very much about grinding. After 30 you will spend hours just killing mobs or doing repeatable kill quests with small XP rewards compared to the millions of XP you need to level. THIS GAME HAS MUCHO GRINDING. Leveling is slow.
* Many crafting areas with main ones like weapon/armor/handicraft requiring alot of mats and such to make good gear. These also have a high cost to skill up.
* Elite mobs (they have BRUTAL in front of name usually) are quit tough and the group areas require good groups to get through without deaths.
* PvE deaths incure a XP hit that you can buy back. This cost is low at first but scales up fast aftr lvl 20
* lots of stuff to gather
=> my take is that Aion PvE is pretty well rounded but is very same-old, same-old. No reason to come here just to PvE with some PvP. Which is a shame since it takes so long to level up.

tips:
- use potions, shards and scrolls as much as possible in PvP and, if you can afford them, in PvE.
- running away from a fight is not that hard and thus PKing is difficult without many assisting or alot of snaring. Thus, if outnumbered run/fly away (you'll see if you play ho this works)
- kinah/gold is very important, find something you enjoy that makes money (just gathering stuff can net very good cash flow but if you cna deal with crafting it is better, or if you can form elite mob killing groups that works very well as well)
- flight time is VERY important in abyss PvP

I'll try to pop on vent and say howdy, hopefully we can hookup for PvP or what not.
Brov - 40 Chosen
Terrok - 40 Marauder
Tarnak - 40 Sorc most active char for me atm
Brok - 24 Zealot
Bror - 20 Magus
Brok

Re: My take on Aion

Post by Brok »

No comments? Noone playing Aion anymore? :)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, mucho BOTTING. That is really annoying.
Brov - 40 Chosen
Terrok - 40 Marauder
Brok - 24 Zealot
Bror - 20 Magus
Sicyn
Site Admin

Post by Sicyn »

haha, it was a good write-up, I think you're going to be hard pressed to convert anyone though. :) I like Aion, leveling is tough...so I've alt'd quite a bit. It reminds me a lot of DAoC, which is probably why I like it.

I haven't pvp'd much yet so, I can't comment a lot on that. I'm still playing on Lumiel/Asmo.
Brok

Post by Brok »

Ah you're on Lumiel.

I'd make an alt there but leveling is not fast, heh. Maybe in a 2-3 months I cna start a cleric there.

I do like Aion but just wanted to be fair when I saud it had its issues :).
Brov - 40 Chosen
Terrok - 40 Marauder
Brok - 24 Zealot
Bror - 20 Magus
Kestrel_Trebor

Post by Kestrel_Trebor »

Heya Brok, I'll look you up in-game! I'm playing Bardif, a cleric, lvl 41/42 at the moment. Having a blast!
MMO's Played Include The Realm, Meridian 59, UO, AO, AC2, DAOC, WOW
DAOC 2001-2006, Toons Included:
Kestrel (sorceror, alb perc) --> Hasil (infiltrator, alb perc) --> Bardif (healer, mid guin) --> Chianan (bard, hib merlin)
Sacred Brotherhood, Ascendency, Solarius

WAR --> Hasil the Witch Elf
WAR --> Keztrel the Zealot (someone stole Kestrel!!!)
Brok

Post by Brok »

Cool, I saw you while leveling up.
Brov - 40 Chosen
Terrok - 40 Marauder
Brok - 24 Zealot
Bror - 20 Magus