Guild Wars 2

Members of the Kindred venture into a land of guild wars and battle to survive. Participate right here!
Cleon
Guild Master

Re: Guild Wars 2

Post by Cleon »

This is definitely the closest thing to DAoC we've seen in quite some time--even moreso than Warhammer.

Looking forward to this by all means.

By the way, Yates, I played that Explorer game that you recommended a few times.

Took me forever to figure out how to make it work. I never saw you online though. Haven't messed with it in a couple months.

I was making a fisherman--I think.
We are Kindred of Valiance

World of Warcraft

[ Old Blanchy Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Raamiah - Shaman) (Mørck - Warrior) (Arowana - Hunter) (Karîna - Rogue) (Ådam - Priest) (Krìsti - Warlock) (Lèo - Druid) (Valsu - Paladin) (Stibnites - Mage) (Festae - Death Knight)

[ Grobbulus Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Alliance Realm ]
(Valsu - Shaman) (Uaru - Warrior) (Trapiche - Hunter) (Lejes - Rogue) (Cleon - Priest) (Ealdor - Warlock) (Pacu - Druid) (Salvini - Paladin) (Jardini - Mage) (Jurupari - Death Knight)

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Stibnite - Mage) (Valsu - Shaman) (Lèjés - Demon Hunter) (Cleonae - Hunter) (Cleon - Priest) (Machairo - Warrior)
(Festae - Death Knight) (Sapote - Druid) (Castle - Paladin) (Erìk - Monk) (Progressive - Rogue) (Ealdor - Warlock)
Yates Yellowrat Bast

Post by Yates Yellowrat Bast »

Cleon, the game was ok, but my interest in it is fading.
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

How Guild Wars 2 Fights Gold Farming (microtransations explained):
http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1221286p1.html
Miq, Hexine, Adaar, Zierra, Jhaboo

Currently Playing = DAoC Freeshard Phoenix Midgar
Drendel - Warrior / Dreya - Skald / Drezzel - Shaman / Dreevig - Spirit Master

Discord = Daemini #2935 / Steam = Daemini
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Guild Wars 2 dungeons preview
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/guild-w ... s-preview/

During our run through the Ascalonian Catacombs instance, my party was faced with a pair of bosses who become stronger the closer together they were. The designer accompanying us advised that we try to separate them within the open arena where they spawned, but we quickly found ourselves fought back the way we came, into a narrow corridor that we’d opened by placing a rock on a pressure plate to open a secret door. At this point, a player moved the rock, causing the door to shut and trapping one of the bosses on the other side. After dealing with the first boss, we then re-opened the door and dealt with the other much more easily.
Because player progression isn’t tied to specific loot drops, Guild Wars 2 can encourage playstyles that would be considered exploits in other MMOs

Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Guild Wars 2: Keep Defence - Awesome World vs World (Yogcast)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk06sCaB0l4

Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Watch 45 minutes of Guild Wars 2 dungeon footage, plus commentary!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/02/watch ... ommentary/

Adaar

Post by Adaar »

So whats everyone want to play class-wise? I'm interested in the Thief, Ranger and Warrior classes.

Yates Yellowrat Bast

elementalist/wizard guy, of course ;)
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

Do I get to Smite?
We are Kindred of Valiance

World of Warcraft

[ Old Blanchy Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Raamiah - Shaman) (Mørck - Warrior) (Arowana - Hunter) (Karîna - Rogue) (Ådam - Priest) (Krìsti - Warlock) (Lèo - Druid) (Valsu - Paladin) (Stibnites - Mage) (Festae - Death Knight)

[ Grobbulus Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Alliance Realm ]
(Valsu - Shaman) (Uaru - Warrior) (Trapiche - Hunter) (Lejes - Rogue) (Cleon - Priest) (Ealdor - Warlock) (Pacu - Druid) (Salvini - Paladin) (Jardini - Mage) (Jurupari - Death Knight)

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Stibnite - Mage) (Valsu - Shaman) (Lèjés - Demon Hunter) (Cleonae - Hunter) (Cleon - Priest) (Machairo - Warrior)
(Festae - Death Knight) (Sapote - Druid) (Castle - Paladin) (Erìk - Monk) (Progressive - Rogue) (Ealdor - Warlock)
Broakin

Post by Broakin »

Mesmer looks fun! I'm not entirely set yet, or invested the research time to make a decision.
Revend
Broakin
Lothae

LoL: Bunnycuddler
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Pre-Order Available, no launch date yet though.

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI Radeon™ X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
25 GB available HDD space
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

Adaar

Post by Adaar »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/18/guild ... announced/

If you pre-ordered, you can play beta on the weekend of 4-27 to 4-29

Yates Yellowrat Bast

i can't make it this first beta weekend because i'll be away from home. But I should be able to do all the future beta weekends.
Patek

Post by Patek »

I'm in. I have a pre-order and will play in the next Beta. See you all there.
Patek
Phineous, Human Ranger / Patek, Elementalist / Brasch, Mesmer (Jade Quarry Guild Wars 2)
Patek, Gnome Mage (Emerald Dream WoW)
Patek, Kelari Mage / Gronde, Bahmi Warrior (Harrow Defiant RIFT)
Lanc, Avalonian Wizard / Thrack Highlander Paladin (Albion Percival DAoC)
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Home Server: Fort Aspenwood ( picked randomly ) Usually names, Miq, Adaar, Illyad, Skuuz

Sicyn
Site Admin

Post by Sicyn »

I played for a bit (I was sick most of the weekend). I liked it..it seems like a game that will keep my interest of a little while at least. I didn't get into PvP much...but next beta weekend, I'll check it out.

I'm confused as to why they only allow you to create chars on 1 server without paying for a transfer. Seems odd to limit you to 5 chars when there are 8 classes.

-Lon
Yates Yellowrat Bast

Is the action in battle too quick? I've watched some game footage on youtube and i fear battles will be quick, click-fests. i prefer daoc speed, where you had a second more to make tactical decisions.
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

I played about 30-ish hours, been busy to right back my personal opinion. I kinda liked the graphics, but then again there was the slight asian mmo feel in some of it, hate the green highlight outline when you drag your cursor over things/people/npcs. I also played it on low graphics, so they prolly could be better with better computers. No lag really, no graphic hicups.

I played up to lvl 10 with a Ranger, they are pretty much archer type with pet, They can use melee weapons too. The way skills work, you equip a certain weapon, (Long Bow, Short Bow, Gun, 2 Hand Sword, ect.) your hotbar changes and new skills are there. To unlock them you just use the weapon to unlock skills 2 through 5 (you get hotbar key 1 without having to train, and its usually an auto-shoot ability). What I dont like with that is, you train very quickly, 20 mobs and you've unlocked all skills, cant see using the same skills from lvl 1 to 80. Hotkeys 6 through 0 unlock through levels, 6 is usually a heal (could be self, group, self-pet). Hotkeys 7 through 9 are were you stand out alittle more from others in your class. You find these challenges around the maps, and compete them to get a point to use to unlock these skills, think you might get some points from leveling too. I forgot what Hotkey 0 does.

Ranger pet never really dies, although it does, its just runs back to you with no HP and runs beside you, until you rezz it (takes about 20 secs.) I didn't like that, pet should be dead on the ground.

Theif, was amazing, I never really leveled it, just pvped with it. I did alittle with Ranger also, but had more fun with my thief. Thief I pvp'ed mostly Battlegrounds. But before that, there is the Mist (forgot realy name, but know it has Mist in it.) This Mist place is sort of like a instanced place where you learn how to PvP for new folks, but you can queue up for your PvP options. This bumps you up to lvl 80 and unlocks all your hotkey buttons. Gives you decent gear and weapons, and also has a pvp chest where you can put different stats on your gear (I went with lifesteal on my weapons on my Thief, he rarely dropped). But thats where its different, in Battlegrounds, you keep everything you have from the Mist, but in World vs World vs World (WvWvW) your health and stats are kinda bumped up to 80, but you dont keep with weapons and armor, and skills from the Mist, you have the stuff from the leveling portion of the game. So, while my thief was doing BG's doing 1000-ish a hit, in WvWvW my Ranger with a lvl 8-ish bow was only doing 200-ish damage. But enjoyed both.

WvWvW was fun although I never actually killed anything or got a group or whatnot. The main map was okay, only played for like 40 minutes, there is no multiple instances of this, its only one per 3 servers, you have to queue if its full. Didn't really do any keep taking, but was a thing were we fought outside there keep, they chased us back you ours, repeat. I died fast and quick, prolly cause of my gear, although with the dodge mechanic, I got out of alot of extra deaths too. When you die you have another chance to come back, sorta like Left 4 Dead. Players can help you up, they channel to get you up. Or you can kill something while your down, you have a hotbar pop up when you "die" and you cant move, but the hits from you are very weak, you'll only kill someone/mob if they are like 5-10% health. Enemy players can come up to you and press E and do a finishing move, but no graphic cut or anything, just a simple deathblow.

Battle Grounds on my theif is where I had my most fun, maybe cause everyone had equal stats/gear. Your either red or blue, and your teams cloths are that color, with was annoying. The dodge mechanic, where you double tap a direction and dodge there, can be used twice, then your energy bar refills. It made from some easy ganking with my thief, they are OP'd, one on one I never died, I even took out 2-3 players a couple times solo. BG's have basic mechanics weve seen before, capture the flag, murderball, defend, ect. Maps were fun, like one where the middle objective was in a clocktower with windows that could be destroyed. Also trash and barrels break if you attack near them. Fights took awhile, of course if you had 5 people targeting you you would die quick. But most fights I had were I wasn't solo or with a group of 3-5 more people, I didn't die quick.

Leveling portion of the game was okay. No quest, but felt like a quest, you still kinda get a quest or a main quest. Other stuff you have to find or talk to a scout to open your map up. There are these Hearts on the map that tell you someone/thing needs help doing something. Go there and you get a quest on the right of your screen telling you what needs done, do it until the bar fills and get extra xp, and the person needing help can sell you stuff. There are other things that happen around the map also, and pop ups will tell you when it starts or when your near it. But its basically a Public Quest from Warhammer Online, except your not competeing with other people for top prize. There is ladder on who did the most. When the event is done, you either get Bronze, Silver or Gold metal for your participation. Depending on which metal you get you get these points which you can spend on gear and whatnot, I never used any, also the people you help around the map the little hearts have items you can buy with it, once you fill up the bar for helping them. There were a couple instanced places, but not many, just for the main quest. There was one in the human city too, which is about the size of 100 Camelots. Maybe even 200 cause its 3 levels. Really big, has about 5 Waypoints in it, which are used for traveling around. You have to discover the waypoint to use it, then you have to pay a small pocket change fee for using them. The farther away you are from the waypoint you wanna go too, the more it cost (nothing bank breaking).

Overall, It wasn;t what I was exspecting, but I had fun while I was there. I never tried any Dungeons, Raids, or WvWvW with 80 gear, no sieges, end game contet or KoV. So I cant really make a judgement on it.

Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Yates Yellowrat Bast wrote:Is the action in battle too quick? I've watched some game footage on youtube and i fear battles will be quick, click-fests. i prefer daoc speed, where you had a second more to make tactical decisions.
Its alittle faster then DAoC, but this is close personally space battles, It might be alittle slower during sieges, and zerg fights in the WvWvW maps. You can always dodge 2 times out the way, then cast your heal (while running) and get more time.

Adaar

Post by Adaar »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/08/guild ... h-friends/

How you can play with other folks no matter what server they are on.

"EF: There are quite a few things that we implemented intentionally to help facilitate players playing with each other. For example, our waypoint system is designed to allow players to quickly and easily travel to wherever their friends are. Friends lists and guild membership are account-based to help people play with each other and not force them to remember a long list of alts. Whenever we design a new feature we always ask ourselves how it impacts our players’ ability to play with their friends."

Yates Yellowrat Bast

Are you going to choose Fort Aspenwood server again, for tomorrow's stress test, Adaar? what will your toon's name be? I'll be Yates Bast, probably
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

I wont be able to make the test this time.

Hildace

Post by Hildace »

I kind of wish I could play this (as it is the closest thing I've seen to DAoC, and DAoC is a shell of its former self), but I'm fighting tendonitis in my elbows atm =/ and i might not have much time at all in the fall. RL is kickin my @ss lol =P

Hope u are all doin well!

Best,

Mike (Hildace)
Yates Yellowrat Bast

Hi Hildace. We have something in common- i have minor tendenitis in my elbow (and index finger) caused by too much mouse-clicking. I suppliment my mouse with a trackball device, so I don't have to use my mouse finger. I'm giving my arm/hand a rest somewhat, so it heals by the time Guild Wars 2 is out.