Guild Wars 2

Members of the Kindred venture into a land of guild wars and battle to survive. Participate right here!
Adaar

Guild Wars 2

Post by Adaar »

I know Rift just came out, and GW2 wont be out for another year or so. But its looking amazon. I've been following up on the Classes they have been announcing over the past year, and their abilities and spells are like nothing I've ever seen before, and almost like the abilities and spells have a second use. Plus its built around PvP, unlike most games. Its PvP first, raiding and PvE last. Here is an insert from an article on the Thief Class:

But what would a Thief be if he didn't steal? That's why, regardless of weapon, the Thief can target an enemy and steal an item from them. Each enemy in the game has a small pool of possible items to steal (this includes opposing players). Items function as temporary weapon skills, and can be immediately used for a range of effects. I was able to steal an egg from a Moa and had the option of eating it for health or throwing it as a weapon, while I stole Gunk from a worm-thing that inflicted random status effects on my opponent when I used it. I was told that the Thief will always use the items he steals in a Thief-y way. Like, if I steal a shield from a Warrior, I'm not likely to use it to block -- I'm much more likely to throw it like a Frisbee for extra damage.

Check out the Article with video here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153403p1.html
Guild Wars 2 Home Page: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/
Plus Youtube has some abilities/spell videos for 6 of the announced 8 classes.
Miq, Hexine, Adaar, Zierra, Jhaboo

Currently Playing = DAoC Freeshard Phoenix Midgar
Drendel - Warrior / Dreya - Skald / Drezzel - Shaman / Dreevig - Spirit Master

Discord = Daemini #2935 / Steam = Daemini
Adaar

Re: Guild Wars 2

Post by Adaar »

Yates Yellowrat Bast

Post by Yates Yellowrat Bast »

Guild Wars 3....3-realm pvp.....I might be trying this, although i'm really involved in a different mmorpg right now. And YES, I still follow you guys in this forum :)
Leonthor

Post by Leonthor »

If you've been following the forums, I hope you saw my post about Dominus.
Game looks to be pretty well designed.
Leonthor, Tamaromni, Neighlon and others in DAoC.
WoW (retired):Wambuku Pa-Monk, Phoebria NE-Priest, Leonthor Wo-Druid, Xarlyndra Hu-Mage, Tinaldyr Hu-Paladin, Yzcirin Dr-Shaman

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy & taste good with ketchup!!!
Yates Yellowrat Bast

I'll keep my eye on it, since it's being developed by some old, DaoC creators.
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

Yates, what MMO are you currently participating in?

I wouldn't mind trying something different.
We are Kindred of Valiance

World of Warcraft

[ Old Blanchy Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Raamiah - Shaman) (Mørck - Warrior) (Arowana - Hunter) (Karîna - Rogue) (Ådam - Priest) (Krìsti - Warlock) (Lèo - Druid) (Valsu - Paladin) (Stibnites - Mage) (Festae - Death Knight)

[ Grobbulus Server WOTLK - CLASSIC]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Alliance Realm ]
(Valsu - Shaman) (Uaru - Warrior) (Trapiche - Hunter) (Lejes - Rogue) (Cleon - Priest) (Ealdor - Warlock) (Pacu - Druid) (Salvini - Paladin) (Jardini - Mage) (Jurupari - Death Knight)

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Stibnite - Mage) (Valsu - Shaman) (Lèjés - Demon Hunter) (Cleonae - Hunter) (Cleon - Priest) (Machairo - Warrior)
(Festae - Death Knight) (Sapote - Druid) (Castle - Paladin) (Erìk - Monk) (Progressive - Rogue) (Ealdor - Warlock)
Yates Yellowrat Bast

Uncharted Waters Online. It's good- mainly because it has many elements I haven't seen before in other mmorpgs. It was developed in East Asia years ago, and they just released a Western server a year ago. I never found an asian mmorpg I cared for before this. It is a very large time investment to be good though. I have the time, or I wouldn't be playing it.
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

Yates, that actually looks really nice.

Something educational I can adopt for the kids as well.

What server/realm, if any, are you on?

I just might join you on this interesting venture.

World of Warcraft

CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Raamiah - Shaman) (Mørck - Warrior) (Arowana - Hunter) (Karîna - Rogue) (Ådam - Priest) (Krìsti - Warlock) (Lèo - Druid) (Valsu - Paladin) (Stibnites - Mage) (Festae - Death Knight)

(Valsu - Shaman) (Uaru - Warrior) (Trapiche - Hunter) (Lejes - Rogue) (Cleon - Priest) (Ealdor - Warlock) (Pacu - Druid) (Salvini - Paladin) (Jardini - Mage) (Jurupari - Death Knight)

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
(Stibnite - Mage) (Valsu - Shaman) (Lèjés - Demon Hunter) (Cleonae - Hunter) (Cleon - Priest) (Machairo - Warrior)
(Festae - Death Knight) (Sapote - Druid) (Castle - Paladin) (Erìk - Monk) (Progressive - Rogue) (Ealdor - Warlock)
Yates Yellowrat Bast

Only one server. Doesn't matter what nation (realm) you pick, that much. England and Spain seem to be the strongest. France and Portugal the weakest. But that doesn't really hurt you much, unless you care about trade wars, which even isn't that important. The company(guild) i'm in is about 8 active players and we are all good people. You could join us if you'd like. We -loosely- role-play that we are enemies of Spain. Very loosely.
Cleon
Guild Master

Post by Cleon »

What Nation do I join to hook up with your crew?

World of Warcraft

CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]

[ Illidan Server BFA]—[A
CTIVE]—[ Horde Realm ]
Yates Yellowrat Bast

any of them, but maybe Portugal is easiest/fastest. you apply at our the company building in Lisbon to L.I.B. (Legion of Independant Buccaneers). I've know these guys for at least a year- a couple of them for a few years. We are all 'older' gamers....(post 40, mostly).

The worst part of the game for me was right at the start- when you do the tutorial. don't let it make you think the game is bad. and join us as soon as you can so we can help you with your questions about the tutorial. My in-game name is "Yates". If i'm not logged in, i'll likely be within an hour or two.
Riztal

Post by Riztal »

Well, look who it is <point's at him self>

i'm come here with a offer that you cannot refuse, the riz wish's to make a alliance to destroy all. in the guild wars 2.
Yates Yellowrat Bast

Hey there Ritzal. An alliance of old DAoC players in GW2? sounds good to me.
Hildace

Post by Hildace »

Riztal wrote:Well, look who it is <point's at him self>

i'm come here with a offer that you cannot refuse, the riz wish's to make a alliance to destroy all. in the guild wars 2.
Riztal O.O damnn...I've been thinking about GW2 myself, but I may not have time to play, at least in 2012 anyway.

Hey everyone in KoV! :D Hope you're all doing well!

Best,

Hildace (Mike)
Leonthor

Post by Leonthor »

Wow, I haven't checked in for weeks... Got sucked in by Skyrim.
How is everyone?
I'm still hoping Dominus turns out well, but GW2 might make a good distraction and it would be nice to run with some of my KoV friends once again.
Leonthor, Tamaromni, Neighlon and others in DAoC.
WoW (retired):Wambuku Pa-Monk, Phoebria NE-Priest, Leonthor Wo-Druid, Xarlyndra Hu-Mage, Tinaldyr Hu-Paladin, Yzcirin Dr-Shaman

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy & taste good with ketchup!!!
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/17/guild ... e-warfare/

Guild Wars 2 PvP to feature 300 player server vs. server battles and siege warfare.

Sounds alot like DAoC Frontier.

Adaar

Post by Adaar »

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/guild-w ... -answered/

Another good articile. If you dont have time to read, I'll highlight the good stuff (pvp/rvr) below:
------------------------------------------------------------------
10. How epic is the World vs. World vs. World PvP?

-Josh: This could’ve been the only content in all of Guild Wars 2 and I would probably still have bought it. It’s almost impossible to convey the scope of this semi-open-world zone that 3 sides of massive numbers of players battle over. It’s like having 20 old-school Alterac Valleys all lumped together in a huge intricate valley with caves, towers, castles, and rivers—without all the crappy side quests and wth a lot more siege weaponry. There are three teams on the map, which pit the entire populations of three different servers against each other, and anyone can go into it at any time. Gavin’s putting together a full video on it for later this week, but I had an absolutely blast forming impromptu warbands with my Red-Team brethren. We assaulted caves overrun by enemy players to steal their resources and used them to build catapults. Then we drove those catapults to their towers and laid siege to the keep doors to break our way in and try to take control of it (before dying horribly as a huge group of enemy players rode across the hills to trap us in the valley). Capturing these towers and keeps gives boons to everyone on my server (aka Red Team), no matter where they are playing at the time. This is the sort of thing that guilds will organize watch shifts and specialized raiding parties for.

I only have two complaints about it so far. First, my team was getting slaughtered, without any real way to recover—for six hours, we were being pinned inside our starting fortress. It was still fun, but that’s going to get old if one server is always losing. ArenaNet seems optimistic that the three-sided war will help prevent that once more players are in the game, and I hope they’re right. Second, I was barely getting any XP at all. I could see myself spending at least half of my total time in GW2 in this mode–I want to get XP for it so I feel like I’m getting some character rewards as well as personal.

-Gavin: I said earlier that PvP instances feel like real war scenarios in GW2, but WvW makes them look like child’s play. I can’t stress it enough, this is huge! The four maps contain the largest PvP land masses of any MMO I’ve played to date. I ignorantly thought I had time to explore them entirely in a couple hours and probably only saw a fifth of everything before the servers shut down. The various forms of terrain are peppered with objectives to capture and defend. Three servers duke it out for every objective trying to earn bonuses for their entire server. At one point I was helping assault a blue keep when out of nowhere an army of green players showed up and flanked us, causing an absolute slaughter. It was amazing. The next advance, we were destroyed by trebuchets and catapults raining explosives down on us.

The resource systems adds essential depth to the overall warfare. Capturing and securing supply points allows players to begin crafting defensive or offensive structures. I saw player created trebechets, mortars, and even a war golem that ran around pounding players and NPCs into a pulp. The ability to create machines of war not only adds immersion to larger battles, but forces a new way of thinking when forming strategies on which objectives need to be assaulted, defended, or let go to enhance your servers standing.

My one complaint is the difficulty trying to form mobs of players into organized groups. I’d love to see a public group feature, much like in Rift, that allowed players to join forces at the click of a button. Even without the grouping, WvW still has the most potential of any PvP system I have played.

----------------------------------------------------------------

11. What do you think of GW2′s PvP in general?

-Josh: I absolutely love Guild Wars’ dedication to creating balanced PvP environments—partly by making everyone play as a level 80 character in standardized PvP gear, like they did in the original game. But this time you still play with your same character as you do in the rest of the world (in the original you have to make a specific PvP-only character), which goes a long way to keeping up continuity and building loyalty to my character.

-Gavin: I agree with Josh. The balance of environments and bolstering of characters to 80 made PvP enjoyable regardless of what level I was. The length of big battles can be a tad exhausting, but the size of WvW combined with the option for instanced PvP scenarios ensures there is always something to do for anyone looking to bring the pain to fellow players.

Yates Yellowrat Bast

Beta signup is active--only open for 2 days, i think.

https://beta.guildwars2.com/
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Yeah Yates, its only up for you to sign up for 48 hours, friday at 10 am is the cut off I believe.

Broakin

Post by Broakin »

Adaar wrote:Yeah Yates, its only up for you to sign up for 48 hours, friday at 10 am is the cut off I believe.

This is true, I was waiting for my beta sign up confirmation all day yesterday. They say that promptness on signing up does not affect your chances of receiving the beta. Nonetheless I'm crossing my fingers for everyone!
Revend
Broakin
Lothae

LoL: Bunnycuddler
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Lots of good stuff coming out of the press beta. I drooled over this world vs world pvp video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVxeSAdHGdE

He talks about the warrior class at the beginning for about 2 mins, then he goes to pvp.

How the world vs world system works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7khMRQjfsc

Sicyn
Site Admin

Post by Sicyn »

Nice, looks a lot like the DAoC concept...I'm getting excited!
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Guild Wars 2 beta: Q&A discusses WvW, events, and more: http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/guild-w ... -and-more/

Yates Yellowrat Bast

Preorder begins April 10th. I will likely preorder, just so i can get into the betas.
Adaar

Post by Adaar »

Guild Wars 2 Beta: Video tour of three major cities (3 videos)

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/guild-w ... or-cities/